Thursday, April 7, 2011

Welcome to the Family

Hello. My name is Tania Warfield. I am in a band called Catfish Mustache with my husband, Eric Stewart and his cousin Brandon Frisby. We have been together as a band since late 2007 and we're still going strong. We've come a long way since we started the band having gone through many of the same trials and tribulations as any band. However, there is another aspect of our band that is not so typical with most bands. Eric and I have two amazing children together and they are just as much members of the band as the rest of us.
Most bands who write blogs talk about the recording process, partying, shows, tours, etc... We find time for all of that, but with an added attribute of kids parties, diaper changes, finding trust worthy and sometimes elusive babysitters and juggling quality family time with quality band practice time. Having small children while struggling to make our band successful is quite a challenge. Many would argue that we should quit the band and focus entirely on family. I disagree. What kind of example would we be setting for our children if we just gave up on our dreams? I want to instill in my children the importance of working hard for what you want in life and what better way to do this than to lead by example.
I don't know if I have any solid goals for this blog, other than to tell our unique story to whoever might want to read about it. Perhaps,  I could provide a little inspiration to other Moms out there who have let go of their dreams a little since they have had children. I did, in fact, go through a stage after having kids, where I forgot all about myself and put everything into them. I soon found out that doing this is no better for them as it was for me. Every mom needs to have a little "me" time. And every kid does too. It's not good to smother your kids with love and affection every moment. It may sound good, but they need the opportunity to learn independance and self worth and it's not gonna happen if you are standing over them 24/7. Will your plants grow if you constantly stand over them and shadow them from the sun? no. And I don't know if that analogy is very good, but I'm leaving it in anyway.
So, this is my blog about my life. It's about everything we've gone through since the start of the band and everything we've learned along the way. I may throw in some videos of our band practice and one day I might give you a recipe for a quick and easy meal for your family. I'm just gonna go with the flow and we'll see where this ends up. This is the story of the Catfish Mustache family.

2 comments:

  1. H Tania you are so right. Go get em girl.

    love ya


    your cousin wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Its so nice to see the inside and to know you are a mama that isn't giving into the stereotype and giving up on you! I had a moment of just focusing on my babies as well and losing my cousin at 21 woke me up to the fact that life is too short to not still reach for my dreams! You are def an inspiration to other woman esp. us mamas!Me and my boys love Catfish Mustache... Keep doing what you do. Much love <3
    Z

    ReplyDelete